Eniac Ventures is an early-stage investment firm headquartered in NYC. Since our formation in 2009, we’ve been committed to backing highly technical founders who embody our values of authenticity, boldness, curiosity, and scrappiness. At Eniac, we believe that providing capital is just the beginning of the VC/founder journey and pride ourselves on the deep relationships we build with our founders.
Chief of Staff — Position Overview
The position is based in our NYC HQ and the opportunity to partner closely with our co-founder Tim Young. We are looking for a team member with a balance of hustle, passion for learning, and strong organizational and communication skills — someone who is ready to play a key role in serving the founders we work with, as well as the broader startup community.
This role provides a front-row seat to the ins-and-outs of running a VC firm, and will involve all functions of venture capital including working with our portfolio companies, vetting inbound opportunities, conducting diligence, and firm management. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker who is organized, thoughtful and has sharp execution skills. We welcome those of diverse backgrounds to apply. Prior experience in analytical and strategic roles — banking, consulting, or experience at a high growth startup — are examples of profiles that we think would be a great fit for this role.
We expect this to be a 2-year position, which will give candidates an in-depth introduction to VC and critical exposure to all elements of the business.
The Chief of Staff will work closely with Tim Young on all aspects of venture capital, including:
- Managing and tracking new investment opportunities
- Performing market research and due diligence for potential investments including market analysis, product testing, and generating industry landscapes
- Organizing and communicating with sources of deal flow across the startup ecosystem
- Helping Tim support Eniac portfolio companies by facilitating their connections with Eniac’s array of portfolio support and community resources
- Helping Tim vet and manage the large amount of opportunities
- Initiating and leading special projects (building internal products and programs, research deep dives)
Tim Young is a Founding General Partner at Eniac Ventures with two exits as an entrepreneur and over 20 years of experience advising and investing in 100+ early stage startups. Tim has been fascinated by technology since his mother taught him to code in Fortran at the age of 10. He went on to study engineering and become a patent attorney and tech entrepreneur.
In addition to his work as a VC, Tim is an adjunct professor at the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa’s William S. Richardson School of Law, and he’s passionate about helping to grow the region’s tech sector. He’s also worked as a public defender in Anchorage, Alaska, where he often fought to protect the rights of the indigenous population.
The partners call Tim the closer because of his ability to find the best partners and close rounds for our portfolio companies.
- We’re looking for a self-starter who is scrappy and isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves.
- Extremely well organized — you are quick to follow up and are comfortable with juggling multiple high visibility projects.
- Strong writing skills with a focus on the ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Strong interest in learning more about the venture capital and the startup ecosystem
- At least 2 years of prior experience, preferably from within consulting, tech, private equity, a hedge fund, equity research or venture capital
- BA / BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S
- Salary Range: $75k-125k per year (leveling based on experience)
- Health benefits — a fully covered medical plan (dental and vision)
- 401k matching
- Home internet and phone reimbursement
- Flexible time off
We expect a tremendous amount from our Chief of Staff. It is an intense job, but we know it will be one of the most rewarding positions and opportunities to get started in the venture capital business.
To apply, please submit your resume and your answers to the following prompts here:
- Why Eniac?
- How your past work and educational experience has prepared you to be an amazing Chief of Staff at Eniac
- An industry trend you are interested in and why
- What is your favorite Eniac portfolio company? Why are they your favorite?